
What is the root cause of unhappiness? Why strength is necessary for liberation? Why ego can not reflect on itself?

Questioner (Q): Acharya Ji, in few days, Republic Day, that is, the 26th of January, will be celebrated and the work that Foundation is doing is very closely linked with “The Youngsters”. So, I wish to ask you in what ways the youngsters of today have lost love for the…


Question: Acharya Ji, pranaam. We have seen movements led by great teachers like Kabir Sahib against numerous social issues like untouchability, caste system etc. Also, there have been many, like Guru Gobind Ji who fought battle against invaders in the epics. We have Pandavas against Kauravas in Mahabharat, Lord Krishna…

Question: Acharya Ji, please tell us how we can keep a fine divide between the religious and the secular, and grow holistically as an individual and as a society?
Acharya Prashant Ji: There is no divide between the religious and the secular. True religion is about eliminating all divisions.

Listener: Sir, can you give your views on nationalism and patriotism?
Speaker: See, man always requires something to separate him from others. In this separation is the protection of his ego. If I were just the same as you, how will you say that I am ‘I’ and you are…

Question: Sir, how to differentiate between these two things – being patriotic, and to not to identify with an identity?
If we say that we are patriotic to our country, this means that we are involved with an identity that is – being an Indian. So how to differentiate between…

समोऽहं सर्वभूतेषु न मे द्वेष्योऽस्ति न प्रिय:।
ये भजन्ति तु मां भक्त्या मयि ते तेषु चाप्यहम्।।29।।
samo ’haṁ sarva-bhūteṣhu na me dveṣhyo ’sti na priyaḥ

Sunday Guardian ColumnSunday Guardian ColumnSunday Guardian ColumnSunday Guardian ColumnSunday Guardian Column

How did the Buddha look then? Who is the Buddha? Let’s try to understand with the story of Gautama Buddha, The ‘Shakya Muni Buddha’ as we call him. So, who was he? Let’s look at his central characteristics. One, someone who is well versed in the knowledge of his time. Buddha had deep scriptural knowledge. He was born in a Hindu Kshatriya family, he was a prince and ever since his childhood he was quite talented. So, one thing about him is that he was quite well-read. Second thing is, he was deeply interested in knowing the depths of life. He did not want to remain merely at the superficial levels, so he would observe a lot, he would think a lot. https://acharyaprashant.org/en/articles/todays-buddha-1_4d1b6bf

Questioner: A lot of students that I talk to — it’s the fear of the society, it’s the fear of the unknown, it’s fear of the expectations that they are carrying, that pushes them to become an engineer and then they figure out that probably this is not something that they wanted to be. And that is the reality of a lot of individuals and not just engineers. Probably, here is something that is stopping me from taking a plunge of starting something of myself, right? Fear is something that is stopping somebody who is in a relationship for ten years to take that step to get married. Where does this fear come from? Acharya Prashant: Lack of love, which comes from lack of self-knowledge. You see, when I tie my sense of existence, my very identity, to something that is unreliable, I will have to be afraid. It’s like putting my heart on this table. Now, how can I live in security? The heart is out there on the table, anybody can take it away, anything can happen to it. Or the heart might grow legs and walk away on its own. My very existence has been subjected to something that is not in my control. Something that is definitely going to deceive me at some point, that is fear. My sense of self-worth comes from my monies, my bank account, I will be afraid. That bank account can be closed anytime, anything can happen. My sense of self-worth comes from my physical appearance. I very well know, time will take it away, I will be afraid. Right? Who am I? I am the one who is praised or worshipped by the society. Oh! I will be so afraid, so afraid! You talked of people working for their images, they would be living a cursed life. Because, their heart is out there in the hands of strangers. Their entire identity is tied to their image and the image is in the eyes of other people. So, the image can be distorted or can disappear any moment. Just imagine, how afraid they would be all the time. That’s with the ego. Because, the ego, as I said, is a fundamental sense of incompleteness. Therefore, to complete itself, it just associates itself to anything possible. And the things that you are associating yourself with, they are not reliable. They belong to the world and the world can take them away. They belong to time. They came with time and with time all those things will disappear. And you have tied your identity to those things. Now how can you rest in peace? That’s fear. If you do not have self-knowledge, you will always be afraid. My identity is linked to my husband’s identity. Now the husband has two legs. And the husband has a brain, a mind of his own. If your identity comes from your husband’s name, as happens in India at least, you would always be afraid as a wife. The husband can change his mind any day. You would always be, you know, having one eye on his secretary, and the other eye in his email and mobile phone. What’s he getting into? Who’s texting him? Why is he on the phone so late in the night? Because you are afraid if husband goes away, what happens to you? Your very existence depends on the husband. That’s fear. When you operate from the ego centre and make something very, very important for yourself and that something belongs to the world, it can go away anytime, and you are afraid. And in that fear, there can never be love, never be love. If you are afraid of losing something, you will be very violent towards it. Nobody lets his money go and have a walk down the road. What do you do? You lock up your money. That’s violence. When something starts becoming very meaningful to you, you lock it up. You don’t want it to have freedom. And that’s violence. So, love and fear just cannot go together. If you are dependent on something or somebody, you will be afraid. And that dependence cannot be called love. And that is a confusion, we often get into it. Just because you depend on somebody and somebody depends on you, you start feeling as if it is love, it is not. Questioner: Just like the way political parties think that people love them but it actually is fear. Acharya Prashant: Exactly! Love is a rare quality and rarer in politics. Questioner: So, if I am interested in a particular profession, do I not pursue it wholeheartedly? Do I pursue it wholeheartedly knowing very well that the results can either be zero or one? Acharya Prashant: One has to go into the very nature of interest. Aren’t we interested in cricket? Aren’t we interested in seeing songs in movies? Practically, everybody in India is interested in cricket, nobody in Brazil is. And nobody in India is interested in ice hockey. So, that’s how flimsy the whole thing about interest is. In India, if you don’t get a movie with songs, you say, “I am disinterested.” The movie would bomb. In Hollywood, if you have a movie with songs, that would raise eyebrows, what’s going on? Occasionally, you have an OD song but typically there is no song. So, that is the nature of interest. It is never something of the heart. Love and interest are not the same thing. Interest is something that is given to you by your body, by your environment, by random chance, your circumstances and all these. So that’s how your interests come to you. So, if you are interested in a vocation, first of all, you have to ask yourself, “Just two years back, I was interested in something else and two years before I was interested in that and when I was four years old, I was interested in becoming a fighter pilot. What happened to all those interests?” Today, I smile at those things and just shrug them off, “I don’t want to be a fighter pilot.” What you want to be today? Oh! I want to be an investment banker. What happened to the fighter pilot? You were so interested in that. And how do you know, tomorrow you will not be looking at this I-banker, just the way today you are looking at the fighter pilot. The self of a five-year old appears so naïve and immature when you are twenty-five. How do you know that at thirty-five, you will not look back at this twenty-five year old self and say, “What the hell! How was I taking this fellow so seriously?” So, interest is something that you must look at with healthy contempt. Interest, mind you, can even be induced in you. Interest can be aroused in you. That’s what the entire advertising industry is about. They can make you feel Interested in things that is intrinsically worthless to you. So, of what value is this thing called interest? But, then in today’s world, we place so much premium on this word 'interest.' Do what interests you, this, that. Whereas, it is wisdom to realize that interest is the last thing that you should ever go after. Then people come up and say, “No, should we do things that we are not interested in? No.



सङ्करो नरकायैव कुलघ्नानां कुलस्य च ।। पतन्ति पितरो ह्येषां लुप्तपिण्डोदकक्रिया: ।।1.42।।

Overview
We want to reach the end of wanting. We want completion, fulfillment in such a final way that we are left with nothing to want anymore. That’s the destination. Born a human being, you will have to act. Act rightly. Act for the right purpose. Live for the right

You cannot love someone or something you know very little of. The nation at its root represents a community of people united through certain values. A nation does not become admirable or respectable or lovable just by the dint of being a nation.
If you are to fall in love…

The worst are those who say, “But what do I do? I am helpless.” These are in the lowest state; they are the worst self-deceivers. They harm themselves and they pollute the entire environment.
A little better than these are those who at least try exercising choice, though their choices…

Swami Vivekananda has said, “First of all, our young men must be strong; religion will come afterwards. Be strong, my young friends; that is my advice to you. You will be nearer to heaven through football than through the study of the Gita.”
Swami Vivekananda was no soccer evangelist. His…

If someone practices black magic, then you say that he is badly conditioned by centuries of rituals, right? If you find somebody practicing black magic, then you are quick to decry, “Oh! Medieval rituals!”
And how old is this ritual of procreation? I ask you. And why must this continue…

I cannot tell you what Bharat is by referring to the etymology of the word. If you ask me what is love, it would be foolish of me to say, “L-O means this, V means this, E means this.” If you ask me what is love, I will wait for…

There is work that one needs to do to run the body, and such work even animals have to do. This you need not call as work; this you can call as labor of living. If you are alive then you have to feed yourself. This even animals have to…

What does true nationalism mean in India’s case? Nationalism is founded on truly Indian values. What do I mean by Indian values? I am being very specific here. By Indian values I mean the values enshrined in Vedanta.
Questioner (Q): Sir, in what ways the youngsters of today have lost the love for the nation?
Acharya Prashant (AP): You cannot love someone or something you know very little of. The nation at its root represents a community of people united through certain values. For someone to…
The same am I to all beings: to Me, There is none hateful or dear. But…
A strange situation is that a beautiful woman’s life is perhaps more complex than an average-looking woman’s life, because a beautiful looking woman has a lot of men eyeing upon her, and she can get whatever she wants. And what you will get for your beauty, that is the real…
If you do not like the result that comes from the right action, then your like is not right. The result is still right. Challenge your likes and dislikes, not the rightness of the result.
saṅkaro narakāyaiva kula-ghnānāṁ kulasya cha patanti pitaro hy eṣhāṁ lupta-piṇḍodaka-kriyāḥ
When the castes mix, that spells hell for the family. It destroys the family, in the way that the ancestors all fall because they are deprived of the Pindokdakriya.…

The situation of Krishna reflects the situation of every real teacher. You have to pull up the one lying in dirt and make him fight the highest battle. You don’t merely have to polish and shine an already existing ornament in gold; the task of the teacher is to take…

Be habituated towards keeping it simple and straight. Let these be your habits.
Procrastination—it’s a wonderful thing. Procrastinate all that which is nonsensical.
Why am I saying, procrastinate it? Why don’t I say, kill it? Because you cannot kill it. As long as the last cell in your body is…

Don’t give in to emotional traps. The man says, “Darling why do you have to work? You stay at home; I will work. You take care of the bed and the eggs and the babies and your mother-in-law; I will bring in the booty.”
As long as the woman keeps…

The argument that man has always been a meat eater needs to be studied and refuted. The current splurge in meat eating is not more than two hundred years old. It came along with industrialization and the popularization of thought that it is meat alone that can provide for protein,…

If you can smilingly tolerate an animal being slaughtered for your diet, then you will equally well tolerate you being psychologically slaughtered for the sake of your profit-minded organization. If you are slaughtering the chicken so that you may eat it and fatten yourself, then you will equally well tolerate…


Doesn’t it behoove the intelligent one to ask: Am I born to just wallow in this nonsense? Is it my fate to crave, cringe, yell and shriek, and then, when I am fed up of yelling, put on a fake laughter or something?
Those honest questions need to be asked.…

It is extremely important to see and realize that we are living in an extremely sick world. What you read in the newspapers is sick. What you see around yourself is sick. The markets are sick. The shopping malls are sick. The streets are bustling with sickness. Educational institutions, political…

There is no remedy against any of the torments of our lives except calling them out. You have to expose them. You have to name them. You have to call them out.
You already know. It’s a matter of acknowledgment rather than realization. Acknowledge it.
There is nothing greatly mystical…

The ego is nothing but the meanings and significances you attach to the world. You attach all that to the world because of a flawed notion of yourself. You look at stuff, and that stuff starts having value or meaning principally because you think you lack that value or meaning…

It indeed does help to feel like a victim. It does not help you, but it helps that within you which is a product of victimization. Because if you are a victim, then you are entitled to certain rights. All victims get entitled to special rights.
Operate from a…

Spirituality is war. You are being trained to fight and win. Neither can you abandon this battle, nor can you make peace with the enemy. The war has to be fought.
But if you can fight the war and win it, then, I tell you, the body is a useful…

There was a kids camp, I have freshly returned from there. I bought three or four masks, really scary masks as per my standards, and I wore those masks. I also bought a couple of rubber snakes, and I took those rubber snakes, and when the kids were sleeping, I…

When you stand in front of a client and make a presentation, what is it that makes you go weak in the knees? Expectation. Greed. And there is only one solution to greed: Rama.
You try to feel like a champion, but in front of your boss you have feet…

The more you go to those “wise” people, the more you will see how those around us are gravely unwise. And that will tell you why those around you do not like it when you go to the really wise ones: because if you do manage to spend time with…

“Anybody can come and spoil my mood. And even to correct my mood, I need some external help: I need to watch a movie, I need to listen to some kind of music, I need to talk to my best friend. I at least need to sleep to correct my…

When you cannot like yourself, then obviously you have to turn to somebody else. That is loneliness. But when you are living a life that is rich, full, honest, then you are alright with yourself. Now, it is not so that you will not have a relationship with the other;…

Take one step and be determined, then take another baby step. And when you are taking that one step, think only about that one step. One step is not very difficult, is it? But when you look at the mountain top, then it is; the looking becomes the deterrent.
People…

Do not try to brand or categorize actions. Look at the actor.
Saying yes might be the holiest deed ever performed; saying no might be the holiest deed ever done. Saying A can be the holiest of actions; saying A can be the vilest of deeds. Going towards the left…

You are saying that you step out and you look at the opposite sex and feel attracted, and you are calling it a problem. To deal with the problem, first of all, there must be a problem. The man is charming—how is that a problem? The woman is beautiful and…

I understand, we live in a society, we are related to each other, we will have something to do with the other. You will always have some relationship with the other. But why can’t that relationship be on healthier grounds? Why must the two be related because they appreciate each…

At some point the chick has to discover that the shell of the egg is just too small to spend a life in. How do you think the shell cracks? The baby grows big enough to crack the shell. It’s just that the chick has just one shell to break.…

Nothing is preordained. Every moment you have the liberty to make a fresh choice. The principle of karma offers you great freedom; the principle of karma simply does not sit well with any kind of fatalistic argument. Nothing is preordained except your ultimate destiny, which is to be liberated. All…

Fear is never reasonless, purposeless, or messageless. It tells you of your insecurities. It tells you of your vulnerabilities. It tells you where you are not real.
If you do not listen to fear, you will keep assuming that you are all solid and strong. It is only fear that…

If you are watching pain, then you are interested in pain. If you are not watching pain, then you are even more interested in pain.
Go to a dispensary where kids are being vaccinated. When the needle goes in, some of them very keenly watch it, don’t they? “Oh, the…

One’s loyalties must be reserved for the highest one can come across, right? Or is one’s loyalty a cheap thing, an article on sale that you can offer to just about any random, average, mean person?
Those who have known life have taught as fundamental wisdom that only Truth is…

Spirituality is a most exquisite pursuit. It is only for those who are not at all contented with what the world can maximally offer. Not only are they not contented with what they already have, they are not contented even with the best that the world can potentially offer. Those…

If current situations have pain, ask yourself, what makes you bear that pain?
If you are bearing the pain to preserve your bondages, then you are your own enemy.
If you are bearing the pain to fight your bondages, then the pain is worth it.
Pain is unavoidable. Pain is…